What are Growth Hormone Secretagogues?
Growth Hormone secretagogues are a group of substances that induce the release of Growth Hormone. These include synthetically developed agonists of Growth Hormone/Ghrelin secretagogue hormone receptors (Ghrelin, GHRP-2, GHRP-6) and Growth Hormone-releasing hormone receptors (CJC-1295, Growth Hormone releasing hormone).
Growth Hormone Releasing Peptides (GHRPs) are different from GHRH structurally but have been suggested by researchers to exhibit a similar function. The hypothalamus secretes Growth Hormone-Releasing Hormone. As discussed later, it acts on the pituitary gland and stimulates the production of Growth Hormone, which has numerous benefits.
GHRP is a synthetic compound that appears to work on specific receptors in the pituitary and hypothalamus. This action has the potential to increase the release of growth hormones. GHRPs may block the effect of the inhibitory hormone (Somatostatin) that prevents the production of Growth Hormone.
What is Growth Hormone Releasing Peptide (GHRP-2)?
GHRP-2 is also known as Pralmorelin or KP-102. It is a second-generation non-glycosylated hexapeptide. It is the first GHRPs to be introduced in clinical experiments. The administration of GHRP-2 peptide can potentially increase the Growth Hormone level in the blood. It may also act as an agonist of the Ghrelin receptors, leading to increased hunger and faster stomach emptying.
GHRP-2 peptide is closely related to GHRP-6 and research studies suggest it exhibits many similar properties. However, the potential of GHRP-2 peptides to increase growth hormone levels may be more potent than that of GHRP-2. A study performed on cultured pituitary cells suggests its potential to increase the portion of Growth hormone to as much as tenfold in response to GHRP-2 peptide.
Mechanism of Action of GHRP-2
GRHP-2 may stimulate the release of Growth Hormone by a Ca+2-dependent pathway. It appears to mimic Ghrelin by enhancing appetite and stomach emptying. It also can potentially increase growth hormone levels by a two-fold mechanism. It implies that in addition to stimulating the release of more Growth Hormone, it may inhibit the impact of Somatostatin (SRIF).
Somatostatin is a hormone that antagonizes the natural release of Growth hormone via a GHRH-mediated mechanism. These increased growth hormone levels in the body may produce desired benefits. GRHP-2 research studies suggest its potential to increase the secretion of GH while causing only a mild stimulatory effect on adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), Prolactin, and Cortisol levels. This action would ensure the desired benefits of Growth Hormone minus the side effects associated with other Growth hormone secretagogues.
Research Implications of GHRP-2
GHRP-2 peptide has been studied widely for its potential utility as a secretagogue for Growth Hormones. It may naturally increase the production of Growth Hormones. Researchers are investigating its use in treating pituitary dwarfism (short stature due to growth hormone deficiency at an early age).
This experiment had reached stage two of clinical trials; however, its implications in the treatment never emerged on the market because the increase in the plasma levels of Growth hormone was significantly lower in the patients with Growth hormone disease than healthy individuals. GRHP-2 also holds potential as a diagnostic agent for cases of Growth Hormone deficiency.
Studies carried out on animal subjects have observed the following properties of the use of GHRP-2 peptide:
● GHRP-2 peptide may promote muscle growth and increases lean muscle mass, stimulate hypertrophy and hyperplasia of the myoblasts (Muscle cells). These effects can lead to better performance and strength.
● The use of GHRP-2 may decrease inflammation of the liver.
● GHRP-2 peptide may speed up the rate of healing and repair following an injury. It has the potential to improve the overall regenerative ability of the body. Researchers can use these effects in a variety of cosmetic procedures.
● GHRP-2 may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Researchers have also suggested that it improves insulin resistance and provides better glycemic control. It may also promote triglyceride breakdown and lowers the risk of cardiovascular accidents.
● The use of GHRP-2 peptide may offer some degree of pain relief.
● Potential to strengthen the immune system.
● GHRP-2 peptide may improve vitality and enhance freshness throughout the day.
● May slow the aging process and help maintain healthy-looking skin.
● Potential to increase collagen synthesis and induce rejuvenating effects on the body.
● May reduce body fat by promoting lipolysis.
● May build and strengthen healthy tissue in the brain, lungs, and kidneys.
● Has the potential to increase bone mineral density in children and help in age-related degenerative diseases of bones such as osteoporosis.
● May improve sleep and increases alertness and clarity of mind.
● May improve health in neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Researchers have suggested GHRP-2 peptide to act physiologically to increase plasma levels of Growth Hormone in the body with minimal side effects. This peptide may have groundbreaking potential in ameliorating age-related problems.
The peptide available is strictly for research and laboratory purposes, and is not available for human consumption or personal use.
NOTE: The information found in this article is intended for educational or informational purposes only. Not intended for personal or human use, and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Please review our Terms and Conditions.
Dr. Marinov (MD, Ph.D.) is a researcher and chief assistant professor in Preventative Medicine & Public Health. Prior to his professorship, Dr. Marinov practiced preventative, evidence-based medicine with an emphasis on Nutrition and Dietetics. He is widely published in international peer-reviewed scientific journals and specializes in peptide therapy research.